Tube of the Year 2020

Winner Sustainability

Ecological Aspects Influencing the Design

The winner in the sustainability category were the SUPERCOCO and SUPERGREEN tubes containing a vegan toothpaste of happybrush GmbH. Both tubes were produced by Essel Deutschland GmbH which is part of the Essel Propack Ltd. group. The laminate tubes have a post-consumer recycled (PCR) plastic content of 30 per cent. This is a very demanding and complex task because the barrier properties of the tube must be retained and every time it is used the tube must always return to its original shape. Even though the PCR content of classically extruded tubes containing PCR is usually around 50 per cent, the happybrush® tube’s life-cycle assessment is still very good. This is because in addition to using 30 per cent PCR, the smaller wall thickness of the tube also reduces its weight by a further 30 per cent. The bottom line is a noteworthy overall saving of new resources of 60 per cent. Ecological aspects also influenced the design of the tubes, which were deliberately scaled down. The decision was made to use a combination of 3-colour flexo/screen printing and a matt varnish. The two product names and the round graphic elements in the upper part of the tube were finished with a silk-screen printed relief varnish. In the interests of sustainability, the number of colours used was limited and the producer dispensed with other possible finishing options.

Tube of the Year 2020
Tube of the Year 2020
Tube of the Year 2020